- ANSI: Yankee National Standards Institute. Provides the accrediting methodology for development of ASME standards among others.
- ASME: Yankee Society of Mechanical Engineers. manufacture a set of twenty eight volumes on the safe use of kit within the geographic point
- Boom: A pivoting structure connected to the higher that supports the ball and/or block.
- Boom Angle: The angle higher than or below horizontal of the longitudinal axis on the boom base section.
- Boom Length: the gap on the middle line of the boom from the middle of the boom foot pin to the center of the boom purpose sheave pin.
- Crane: A Crane may be a lever and therefore the easy principles of movement apply. The burden of the load, times the gap from the pin, is that the overturning moment.
- Critical Lift: Any raise: utilizing multiple cranes; surpassing eighty fifth of total capability of the Crane at lift radius; over Associate in Nursing occupied structure or Public Street; of lifting Associate in nursing item of high price or long replacement time.
- Jib: Associate in nursing extension connected to the boom purpose to produce extra boom length for lifting such masses.
- Load Moment: The force applied to the Crane by the load. The leverage the load exerts on the Crane. (Calculation: gross load times the horizontal distance kind the tipping axis to the middle of gravity of the suspended load).
- Outrigger: extendible or mounted members connected to the mounting base that rest on supports at the outer ends won’t to support the Crane.
- Qualified Person: One who, by possession of a recognized degree, certificate, or skilled standing, or who by in depth information, coaching and knowledge has with success incontestable ability to unravel or resolve drawback with reference to the topic matter, the work, or the project. (OSHA definition)
- Radius: The horizontal distance between the line of rotation and therefore the center of gravity of a suspended load.
- Rated Capacity: the utmost allowable raise for the Crane. A crane will safety operate at rated capability only if operational at the minimum lifting radius that is that the horizontal distance from the middle of the rotation of the Crane to the middle of gravity of the load; with minimum boom length. Within the trade the scale of the Crane is usually cited because the rated capability.
- Tipping Axis: the purpose or line concerning that a crane tips – usually referred to as the pin.
- Lift Director: answerable for every raise or series of lifts on a jobsite. Ensures compliance with crane safety arrange and applicable raise arrange.
- Safety Coordinator: Coordinates all crane activities and management operations on the positioning. Only 1 safety organizer on a job site. Safety organizer is also answerable for multiple raise administrators.